"." Tenshops' Blog: Gammat Rao escapades

Music Player

Friday 5 October 2012

Gammat Rao escapades



        I was not well.  As I was feeling very lethargic and sleepy, I decided to see the doctor. Doctor checked my weight and gasped! "100 kg.!  That's too much. You need drastic measures" he said and advised that I should a eat less, reduce my tummy and fast if necessary.  My friend, Raju who had accompanied me to the doctor, exclaimed "Hurrah! This  is a Godsend opportunity, Yaar."  He explained later that I should exploit this situation to the fullest advantage by politicizing the issue and undertaking immediately a 'Fast unto death'!  While the idea appealed to me immensly, I started wondering about what possibly could be the best motivation for fasting, when my friend added that noble motives  for fasting  could always be found, so long as we didn’t disclose the doctor’s advice!  He suggested that a most attractive aim for fasting would be that the Government should bring in a law to limit the number of children to two per couple or else I fast. But, I nervously pointed out that I already have five children!. He told me that it did not matter because I am a MLA and like all MLAs, I am above these earthly laws. I was about to get into my car, but, my friend stopped me and said that I should walk back home or preferably, I should go home jogging. That would not only impress my wife, but also amuse people on the road and it would come in handy if I ever contested elections at a future date. I was amazed at the 'originality' in thinking of my brilliant friend. I thanked him for the suggestion and started jogging down the road – but, for a short distance. The honking of the surrounding vehicles and the stray dogs chasing me somewhat deterred me from continuing my efforts.
I reached home and I told my wife that Anna Hazare had started a movement against corruption that it has inspired millions of people like me. I  would sit for hours in front of the TV and as I watched the minute-by-minute developments, I would often make my expert comments to my wife on what the Government or Anna team should or should not do. One of the first things that we both agreed was that there was an urgent need for some of us to go on fasting ---- not necessarily to fight against corruption but for other more important reasons like the " Law for two children per couple" ----  and moreover, that I should provide the leadership for this noble cause! My wife suggested a venue for fasting but I ruled it out because there was a nice hotel nearby, which we frequented often and aroma emanating from their delicious menu would make things a little difficult for me.
         We considered whether squatting outside the parliament would be a good idea, as there are no hotels close by. It would serve the double purpose of preventing MP walkouts around lunch time apart from making adjournments also difficult. But, then, we felt it would be unkind to politicians who serve the nation so sincerely although looking so starved and under-nourished. 
        To make my project a little more appealing to the common man, my wife suggested that I should undertake some additional activities, such as jogging. She said if Anna could run at the age of 74 then I, at the age of 58, should do much better. When she tried to 'coax' me into it, I did not dare remind her that Anna did that feat after three days of fasting! 
            As the days progressed, my wife noticed, there was no weakening of Anna’s  voice . It remained like that of a lion’s roar. So, my wife tried encouraging me to transform my voice which was weak like that of a cat’s meow in to a lion’s roar like that of Anna! She asked me to sing one song daily. On the first day of trial my neighbor rang the door bell and asked if every thing was OK. He thought that someone was crying and so, he came to help. That ended my experiment with music.
            As the 13th day of Anna’s fast approached, we felt that after a heavy breakfast, as a moral duty,  we should make a beginning  and fast for at least one day. We started off well and by noon my fingers on TV remote habitually went to choose the food channel! Sanjeev Kapoor was showing how to prepare Hyderabadi biriyani!!  With my mouth watering, I quietly asked my wife “Darling, shall we postpone our fast to tomorrow ?” She said,  “I too was thinking same “.    I picked up the phone and ordered two plates of Hyderabadi Biriyani and on second thoughts, I also added a "Chicken Tandoori".


......................................................  X .......................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment