"." Tenshops' Blog: A Prowler in the House

Music Player

Saturday 15 December 2012

A Prowler in the House


A Prowler in the House
       
                     Vasant  Hattangadi     

I must have been around ten years old when, my parents decided that I was now too old to cling any more to my mother's apron. So it was peremptorily ordained that I should start, forthwith, to sleep alone in a separate bed. Lest I feel too lonesome or scared, I was allowed to share grandpa's bedroom, a concession that I had managed to elicit after considerable efforts by way of protests and tantrums. My grand-father or Nana, as we used to call him, was an old man in his early eightees, suffering often from bronchitis and cough, but, he mostly kept to himself busy in his "sadhana" or chanting of some religious hymns or other in a low mumble. We usually met only at bedtime, but except for wishing him a good night I didn't bother him much as we had a silent gentleman's agreement not to meddle into each other's affairs. Besides, after a hard day of play and mischief I used to be so weary and exhausted that no sooner I entered the bed than I would be fast asleep.
There was one small problem, however. Occasionally, I had to visit the toilet in the middle of the night, which I always found a frightening proposition. For, in our house at Dharwar the bathroom was situated at the far end of a very long, dimly lit corridor on the rear side of the kitchen. It was, in fact, an outhouse at a much lower level than the main house leaving a wide opening near the ceiling at the end of the corridor through which a thief could have easily entered the house. To prevent just such an eventuality it was a regular practice every night to bolt the back door firmly from the inside. So, holding my breath as well as pyjamas, I would quickly run down the corridor, finish my business and rush back, just as fast, into the bed to breathe a sigh of relief! There were times, however, when I preferred to remain in bed until next morning exercising utmost self-restraint albeit rather unsuccessfully sometimes.
One night, during one such routine dash to the toilet I got a vague impression that I had seen the silhouette of a person standing there in the darkness in the kitchen ! "Oh, no! Must be a thief!!" I thought as I relieved myself and began perspiring profusely. "What if he had seen me? He will certainly kill me now." The man had covered himself in a thick shawl or something and had also a small turban wrapped around his head. He was wearing a small crumpled 'dhoti' and even in the darkness, I could clearly make out that he was bespectacled. With a small narrow beam of a penlight, which he was waving around, he was frantically searching for something in the kitchen cabinet. He must have been either a very hungry man or fool enough to think that my mother hid her jewelry in the kitchen!
I didn't know what to do. First, I wondered if I should scream and raise an alarm. This would wake up the entire household and then, he would be alerted and he would either finish me off or run away taking me along as a hostage. I thought the best recourse under the circumstances was to wake up my parents and acquaint them with the situation. So, I tiptoed to my parents' bedroom and lightly knocked on the door. Initially there was no response, but after I had incessantly knocked for about five minutes while calling out my mother in a hushed tone it was my father who finally answered asking me rather irritably what it was that I wanted so badly in the middle of the night. "Anna, I feel scared. There is a thief in the house!" I told him rather timidly and my father thundered from inside, "YOU are the only thief in the house, stupid. Now, go back to sleep!"
I was back in bed, sad and disheartened at the (un)expected rebuke. Now, with that thief merrily rummaging through our kitchen, how could I sleep? But, what can you do if your own father doesn't believe you? Suddenly it occurred to me that if only I could entrap the man in the kitchen itself, my father would then take care of him in the morning. So, I stealthily crept back into the kitchen and saw the thief still busy doing his thing. I slowly moved to the kitchen door and pushed it slightly and it banged shut with a loud thud. Fortunately, the thief was too engrossed in his work to hear anything. I then carefully bolted the door from the outside taking care to see that it made little sound.
I returned to bed triumphantly and lay there thinking how I would brag next morning about my exemplary courage in catching a notorious thief. How I would be showered with praise and accolades from everyone, including my father! However, my jubilation was not to be long-lived. For, just then, I heard my grandfather coughing very badly, the sound coming clearly from the direction of the kitchen. "Oh, my God! Nana's in the kitchen!!" I thought "The moment he realizes he's locked up, he is going to raise such a hell. I'll have had it!" Instead of accolades, I was destined for a generous piece of mind from my father. So, I promptly rushed back to kitchen just as stealthily as I had done before and opened the latch on the door as quietly as possible. Grandfather seemed fortuitously unawares of what was happening. He had obviously found whatever it was that he was looking for - nutmeg, mint or perhaps, sugar-candy for soothing his throat and he was fondly chewing on it. For the last time that night, I entered my bed and promptly went to sleep.
Next morning, at breakfast, my father asked me with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes, "So, finally, did you catch the thief  last night? "  " Well, Almost." I replied nonchalantly. "But, then, I let him go."

Published in Kanara Sarswat,