"." Tenshops' Blog: Just Musing

Music Player

Thursday 10 January 2013

Just Musing


Friends,

                       Years come and go like the Year 2012 that has just passed by, perhaps, leaving behind not so pleasant memories. But, let’s say goodbye to 2012 now and welcome a brand New Year 2013, which, I hope, will not be a 'repeat performance' of the recent past. Well, there’s no medicine like hope, no incentive so great and no tonic so powerful. There’s always some light at the end of the tunnel; so, let’s keep moving forward and hope for the best. Let each day of the coming year bring you all happiness, reason enough to celebrate and cheer and may you all have a great year and wonderful time throughout the next year!

                Since my schooldays, I have always been fascinated by various kinds of machines, specially the so-called vending machines. I don’t know why vending machines are not so common in our country as in some other countries like UK, USA and Japan. When I went to U.S, I found the vending machines were  so conspicuous everywhere,  right from the Airport and Bus Stations to NEC where I had gone for training, in the factories I visited in Chicago or even in the Guest House where I stayed for a week at Oak Ridge. In the United States, the vending machine is generally meant for selling food items like burgers, snacks like popcorn, beverages like Coca Cola or sometimes even full packaged meals like breakfast or dinner.  In countries like Japan, where the population density is high and rates of vandalism and petty crime are low in comparison,  it seems one can purchase even a bottle of wine or a pair of underwears from a vending machine! Most vending machines are designed to be burglar and/or tamper proof and can even detect counterfeit currency.  In New Zealand, on the other hand, I saw at the airport a small, crude but ingenious ‘vending machine’ operating without electricity and with no one to attend! There was a glass box, placed atop a table and with an open top, containing a neat pile of the day’s newspapers; there was also a small plastic tray kept nearby in which the customers would put their dollar bills after picking up their copy of the newspaper along with the change!! Even in India, I came across such a novel, innovative vending machine which is described in my article “Those Wonderful Vending Machines” given below.

                    It reminds me of a very comic film I saw in the early seventies, named, “Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines” which was about the early models of the airplane, with their unconventional, strange and funny designs and their misadventures.  Almost everyone of us has longed to fly in a plane in our childhood and although we may no longer have the same sort of fascination now, who will ever forget the thrill of our first flight in the sky? An account of my intriguing "Maiden Flight” follows next.

Au Reviour  ---- Have a Good Day!

Vasant  Hattangadi