"." Tenshops' Blog: Those Wonderful Vending Machines

Music Player

Thursday 10 January 2013

Those Wonderful Vending Machines


Those  Wonderful  

 Vending Machines 


Vasant   Hattangadi

   Indupachi was squatting amidst suitcases crammed with all those alluring foreign goods that she had brought from her recent trip to U.S. She was so excitedly narrating her experiences and she seemed particularly impressed by their huge departmental stores, mega-shopping malls and automatic vending machines. "Just drop a coin in the slot and out you get snacks, coke or even a complete TV dinner! I wonder why don't they make such wonderful machines, here." she mused. 

       Well, we too have had such vending machines since ages. Even in my school days in Dharwar, I remember, there used to be at the railway station a tall, red contraption to sell 'Platform' tickets. That it used to be 'out of order' most of the time (probably from lack of use) is another matter!  Later, in Mumbai, I came upon a weighing machine with blinking colored lights that would give you along with your exact weight also a prediction of your future. I once had a try on one such machine during my job hunting days, more to gauge my luck than to ascertain my weight. I dropped in a coin and out came a tiny card with my weight neatly printed on it together with the prediction that I was soon to get a decent job! I then put in another coin to find the card saying this time, that the job would have something to do with the ocean!! Encouraged, I tried a third time with the hope of finding some more details as to the nature of the job etc, only to receive yet another vague prediction with an added, sound advice: "Time is money, dear friend. Don't waste both!
    Even in a remote place like Bankikodla, in one of the wayside shops, I had once seen a unique, indigenous vending machine for selling Neera. Everyday, on my return from my morning walk, I would stop at this shop to have a glass of Neera. On inserting a four-anna coin into the machine, a small round, horizontal turntable on the front panel would rotate through half a turn to bring forth a glass of fresh, sizzling Neera! One day, I put in my coin and waited for some five minutes with no sign of a glass of my favorite beverage appearing.  So, thinking that the coin had got 
stuck somewhere inside the machine, as it so often happens with these coin-operated machines, I gave a rather smart bang on the side. A rather shrill, if somewhat mechanical voice emanated from the machine asking me to hold on for a while and excuse the "interruption", with an apology that the inconvenience caused was regretted. After waiting for few more minutes, I pounded once again on the metal cabinet with the same result. When I banged rather impatiently for the third time, however, a lanky, dark man emerged from behind the machine yelling, " Arre, Bhaisaab! Have some patience! I don't have empty glasses here, okay? Arre, Ganpu, get those damned glasses fast, will you? This old man's dying for Neera!"
      Some years back, a local dairy in Santa Cruz had installed a milk vending machine at the suburban railway station, which they had fondly named as "Doodh Ganga". All you had to do was to drop two two-rupee coins in the slot and push a red button for the machine to dispense with exactly one liter of fresh, whole milk through a tiny chrome-plated spout on the front panel. For the first two days, the company did brisk business with the sales going much beyond their normal expectations. The local populace had found the milk to be quite good, thick and creamy and so they had even started patronizing the shop. On the third day, however, when I went to buy my milk the machine had already sprung up an unusual technical problem! I dropped my coins into the machine, held the bottle below the tap and found somewhat to my discomfiture, that even after the bottle had been filled upto the brim, the flow of milk didn't stop! It merrily kept on filling the bottle and before I could say "Doodh", it was already overflowing. As I didn't have another empty bottle with me, on the spur of the moment, I beckoned a poor, street urchin who was standing nearby with his katori greedily watching the whole process. But, as the poor fellow lunged forward to help himself with some free milk, the next man in the queue gave me a dirty look and shooed him away while pushing his own bottle below the tap which was gushing out milk non-stop! The word soon spread around like wild fire that the "Ganges of Milk" was in virtual floods! Before long, people from the neighborhood were seen rushing towards the railway station in large numbers with empty utensils, glass bottles or whatever else they could lay their hands on, to get their share of milk, gratis! It must be made clear that Lord Ganapati had nothing whatsoever to do with this "miracle"; he developed a liking for milk much later.

     Today, we have made such technological advances with the modern, smart-cards etc, that the present-day machines almost match the humans in their abilities and intelligence. The day may not be very far when, who knows, a future vending machine may be just a robot with human-like attributes, that can give you a convincing sales talk besides letting you even haggle over the price: "Two minutes,Bhaisaab! I can show you some latest designs, which I'm sure you'll like. And just for you, I'll make one last, very attractive offer  -------------"

--------- x --------
( Published  in  Kanara  Saraswat, January 2004 )