"." Tenshops' Blog: Atithidevo Bhav

Music Player

Wednesday 11 July 2012

Atithidevo Bhav




Atithidevo Bhav
Vasant  Hattangadi ,  Virar.
"Goddam these Indians !"screamed Jim Lockner in sheer disgust. "Cool down, Jim. Just what's the matter? " I inquired nonchalantly. "Cool Down?" replied Jim, almost fuming. "First, my bag goes missing at the airport, then you put me in that God-forsaken hotel and now, what the hell, my wrist watch's GONE! And you're telling me to remain cool!!".
Jim Lockner was an engineer working with Electrostatics International InC, the manufacturers of 14UD Pelletron accelerator and he had come down to help us set up the most modern particle accelerator which we were buying from his firm. Our Project Manager, Mr. Swami had struck a barter deal with the Americans that they would look after our people sent for training to their factory in US and we would provide their engineers free, fully furnished accommodation here in India .
The dollars which they would have otherwise spent on their five star hotel bills in India could now be spent on training in their factory double the number of our boys, that they had originally promised. While our trainees had a wonderful time in Wisconsin staying in posh apartments, free lunches and so on, Mr. Swami had failed miserably to keep his part of the bargain: instead of the fully furnished flat promised by him, he had arranged for their engineer to stay with a local Goan family in Colaba Causeway! Jim Lockner obviously had not appreciated the idea of having to walk through Mr. Coehlo's kitchen to get into his bedroom which faced a shanty place, aptly called "Shanti Nagar"!!. So, when he found that on his very first day in our lab his wrist watch had mysteriously vanished from his desk, he was naturally very much upset and angry. "It was a gift from my girl friend" he had said. It was not so much the money it had cost that mattered, but it was the sentimental value he attached to it.
Now, I had a real big problem on my hands! Knowing well our Project Director, Dr. Cooper, I knew that he would get very much worried about this unfortunate event and slowly he would work himself up into a nervous frenzy. According to him, this 'calamity', happening as it did at the very start of our project was going to be a bad omen and I was going to be the sacrificial goat who was responsible for not keeping the Americans happy. Although I had told Jim Lockner not to worry and we would somehow get back his watch, I must confess, I was inwardly very much worried myself. For, I had no inkling of an idea as to how I was going to find the stolen watch. I knew I had to do something before Dr.Coover blew his top!
I was pretty sure the wrist watch could not have gone very far from the Lab. It was probably just misplaced somewehere in the Lab itself and so, we thoroughly scoured through and ransacked the entire place, but, to no avail. The only other possibility was that the watch had indeed been stolen in broad daylight and more likely than not, by one of our own helper boys. We had recently engaged some forty odd menial workers on daily wages as temporary staff and it was most likely that one of them was the culprit.. These helpers were strewn all over the place and seen everywhere helping in shifting materials, unpacking parcels or doing some such odd jobs. "I always leave my watch by the side on my desk while I'm working and it's never been lost before" Jim had said. In the milieu of confusion and disarray that prevailed in those early days of our project, it was not very difficult to pick a small wrist watch lying so unobtrusively "inviting to be picked-up" on the desk. But, how was I going to catch the thief? Call the police ? No, that would give us unnecessary bad publicity and Dr. Cooper wouldn't approve of it. There was just one thing I could do. Yes, appeal to the finer sentiments of the potential thief! I instructed my PA to call immediately a staff meeting and not to forget inviting, especially, the recently recruited helpers.
 Friends, we are meeting here, because I want to inform you all that a very serious thing that shouldn't have happened has taken place. Without further ado, let me come straight to the point. You see, our American friend, Mr. Jim Lockener has been robbed of his wrist watch in broad daylight right here in our own lab. He had left the watch on his desk and in just a jiffy, it was gone! We have searched for it everywhere, scoured the whole place, but we could not find it. That leaves only one other possibility and that is, I am sorry to say, surely one of us has fallen prey to the temptation of stealthily slipping it into his own pocket. This is not very good at all for our reputation.
You see, all the Americans feel very proud of their great country as George Washington's country. We have all read his story in our schooldays - about his love for truth and honesty; so, I will not repeat it here. All Americans also have a high regard for our great country because of its heritage, history and ancient culture as also for its great men like Swami Vivekanand and Mahatma Gandhi. We ourselves proudly show off '"Mera Bharat Mahan" signs on our trucks and cars.
Jim Lockner is a guest of this country and you all know how we Indians treat our guests like God. ''Atithi Deobhav". Imagine what impressions Jim will take back home if, on his very first day in this country, his wrist watch gets stolen! That watch was for him a symbol of love and affection, because it was a gift from his beloved. What will you like him to tell her, his family and his friends when he goes back? That India is a country of rogues and petty thieves or that it is a country of honest though very poor people? Think about it.
It's lunch time now. When I return from lunch, I expect to see Jim's wrist watch on my table. Everyone makes mistakes in one's life. Whosoever has taken the watch, here's a chance for you to redeem your mistake. There will be no police and no questions asked, I promise you. Remember now your country's reputation is in your hands. Jai Hind"
When I came back from lunch, I found a nice, little Seiko Digital Chrona watch sitting prettily on my desk. I immediately dived into my intercom and called Jim. He came running beaming a big smile and saying, "Hey! This can happen only in great India !!"

*****    XXXXXX    ******

( Published in KS, Vol 93,No.3,(p13) March 2012 )