"." Tenshops' Blog: Confessions of a Derelict Car

Music Player

Sunday 25 November 2012

Confessions of a Derelict Car

Confessions  of  a  Derelict  Car
 Vasant   Hattangadi 

        My name’s Padmini --- Premier Padmini.  There have been quite a few men in my eventful life, but none so charming as this prince Naresh, who doted on me no ends for two full years before he fell for some super sophisticated cutie called Chevrolet. Later on, it was only after Mr. Jasswala came into my life that it became so hectic. He even took me once to the Himalayan Car Rally, in which I picked up a consolation prize. For the last eight years, however, I have led a comparatively peaceful life with an old, retired gentleman who adored me so much and looked after me so well while our relationship lasted. Some two months back, however, we had to suddenly and rather reluctantly part company as the poor fellow suffered a stroke and was himself in dire need of care.
        Since then, life with my present new masters, Muralee and Britto has become one big hell for me. The two nasty characters have made me do all sorts of detestable things such as carrying explosives, guns and other contraband material in my boot. Terrorizing people seems to be their only religion. They have been planting bombs in parks, supermarkets and even in suburban trains taking away so many innocent lives. They have massacred a whole lot of innocent women and children and in all these dastardly acts, I have been made the hapless, reluctant accomplice.
       Today, in their most diabolical plot hitherto, I was assigned the role of a suicide bomber!  This morning, I saw Britto strap a small, metallic box on my underbelly. I saw them both working on the box for quite a while, connecting some red and blue wires and finally, inserting what looked like a detonator and a pair of torch cells. My worst suspicions were confirmed when I saw Muralee carefully set the time by a thumbwheel switch before closing the lid. We then drove down to the Regal Theatre and parked at the entrance to its underground car park.
      A police constable showed up sometime later and banged his batten on my bonnet, inquiring loudly as to which idiot had left the car parked there just below the “No Parking” sign. I tried my best to attract his attention by making some wild gestures, but, all in vain. “Pandu Dada! Look Here.” I called out. The constable turned and looked all around, but though he had a queer feeling that someone in distress was calling, he failed to spot me.  “Aarre Bhai, Look here! I am here just behind you. There’s a BOMB in my boot!”  But, either the fellow couldn’t hear me or didn’t follow what I said. He surveyed all around once more, shrugged his shoulders and went his way. They had probably set the bomb to go off at 9:00 p.m., just when the second show gets over and a huge deluge of people pours out of the theatre.  It was going to be one big disaster, I thought, if the damn thing went off then. Oh, there was going to be a certain holocaust in which hundreds of innocent people would perish, unless ------. Unless, of course, I could somehow just do something to prevent it!
     God! If only I could move on my own steam!!  He must have heard my silent prayer. For, suddenly as if by miracle, I felt something strange -- some life stirring inside me! It was as if some unknown force had suddenly taken charge, started the ignition and stepped on the gas pedal. Ggrrrr! Gggrrr!! I winced once, whimpered a little and then, like some sleeping giant awakening, whirred into action. Before I knew what was happening, I had already started moving out, slowly but definitely. Then, with a sudden gusto and my horn blaring out, I lunged forward and whizzed past the wide-eyed, awe-struck policeman straight into the traffic.  
     I went once full circle around the traffic island before turning into M.G. Road.  I knew now what exactly I had to do. It was probably just what God intended for me to do that he had bestowed upon me these miraculous powers of automation.  I looked up at the Museum Clock. It was quarter to nine -- just about fifteen minutes left in which to reach Chhor Bazaar and give those, damned scoundrels a taste of their own medicine! I increased my speed and in a jiffy hit 70 kilometers per hour, an unheard of speed for me during all those past ten years. The constable and his officer had, by now, recovered enough from their initial shock to report to the Control Room that an abandoned car had suddenly gone berserk! They started chasing me in their jeep with the sirens wailing at full blast.
       I entered the Kala Ghoda Circle, where a Youth Festival of Music was in progress. A group of funnily clad young men on a makeshift bandstand were in the midst of a Jazz number, which they suddenly stopped playing to gape at me in awed silence. I roared through the crowd as frightened people ran helter-skelter to make way for me even as I tried to steer clear of them. In the melee, however, I did manage to topple a fruit vendor’s apple cart. I speeded through Hutatma Chowk, where a group of anti-government activists was on its umpteenth hunger strike and the very next moment, I was cheerfully waiving at the Old Lady of Bori Bunder.  The teeming crowds of commuters pouring out of the Station, stood motionless in their tracks with their mouths wide open as they saw a ‘driver-less’ motor car whiz past with the Police in hot pursuit.  I looked at the clock. God, Just Twelve minutes more!
      Police Inspector Inamdar was at his wit’s end trying to explain to his superiors at the Control Room that he was chasing a speeding car which, apparently had no one at the wheel but was yet moving through the crowded streets as if driven by an expert motorist.  He did not know how, but most probably it was some remote-controlled, enemy vehicle or probably one from the outer space. No, he could not surmise what its mission could be but it was heading towards Mohemadd Ali Road. Yes, he was trying his best to intercept it but could not cope up with its speed, which was now touching almost a hundred.
       I crossed Mahatma Phule market. Now, a second police jeep had joined the chase. I escaped into a side lane and turned right twice to emerge on the main road again near Sheik Memon Street, which I entered now. I knew the hideout. It was somewhere around here in an old, dilapidated building.  Just five more minutes left.  I had to speed up now before it was too late. I turned into the Nankataiwalla lane and spotted the building at the end of the road. Yes, that’s the one---Rezia Manzil. I changed into first gear and roared as I struggled on to the pavement and rammed through the gates. I knew their den was somewhere in the basement and there was a way to it on the backside. When I reached the basement, I saw Anwar at the farthest end shout into his transmitter, “Haan, Janab. Mission’s Fateh”.  Just then, he looked up and his face turned pale white like an apparition as he saw me coming ahead in full throttle and plough into his desk.  He panicked, got up and ran stumbling along the way towards the other end of the room, where his other two friends, Muralee and Britto were celebrating their “success” over a bottle of Vodka with the boss, Shaukat Mansoori!  Just then Britto looked up and saw me approach them at top speed; glancing at his watch he screamed, “My God!” Ah Ha, NOW you remember GOD! Bastards, you didn’t remember Him when you slaughtered them --- those poor, little kids in the park, did you?
      All of them started running for their life towards the exit. I reversed a little bit, turned right and charged forward again to intercept them head on. Just two more minutes left! I had all four of them cornered now, precisely where I wanted them, their eyes pleading for mercy as I dashed towards them in full fury.  They started running towards the corner room, where they had dumped all their ammunition and explosives.  I shoved them in swiftly, like a bulldozer ----- Vrrroomm! Vrrroomm! VRROOMM!
        Next day, across the front page in all the newspapers were the headlines:
 DERELICT  CAR  RUNS  AMUCK  :  SMASHES  TERRORIST  DEN.

----------------------------------- X  ----------------------------------