"." Tenshops' Blog: My Jogging Escapade

Music Player

Tuesday 6 November 2012

My Jogging Escapade

Gymnastics or the cult of bodybuilding is an institution like marriage: those who are in, having already burnt their fingers once, try to lure those who are out. It was thus a fitness-crazy friend of mine who introduced me to  jogging as the best and simplest form of exercise. I was already a physical culture faddist and had by then tried all types of exercises from aerobics to 'Soorya Namaskar's and had used almost every health appliance in the market, from Bullworker to Stepper, without adding as much as an extra inch to my biceps to show off. So, going in for jogging in right earnestness, one day, I bought for myself a brand new pair of white 'Reeboks', to which I applied a brilliant white coat of 'Blanche'. For my 'jogging' uniform, I found an old pair of Bermuda shorts, a sleeveless vest and a pair of socks. Lastly, before going to bed that night, I carefully set the alarm clock to ring at exactly five, next morning.
The alarum went off promptly at the set time. I jumped out of the bed, had a quick wash and changed into my jogging attire. Taking care not to awaken others still enjoying their early morning slumber, I slipped outside, to find not a soul in the streets. The watchman was fast asleep; a stray dog looked at me quizzically and decided to ignore me. There was an eerie silence in the air, not even a cock crowing or a bird chirping. I felt a trifle scared initially, but started jogging, all the same, at a slow, even pace.  After I had jogged for about two to three kilometers, however, I felt tired and decided to call it a day — for the first day, it was certainly more than enough. When I had rested a bit on one of the benches in the Chembur municipal garden, I suddenly started sneezing; probably, I was going to catch a cold, I thought. The sound must have made a police constable sleeping on the next bench jump in his seat.  He gave me a rather cold, irritated look.  I returned a sheepish smile for an apology and quickly decided to move on.
I couldn't have blamed the policeman.  After all, I was feeling a bit sleepy myself, which was but natural having got up so early.  So, deciding to return home by a shorter route, I stealthily entered the compound of the police commissioner's bungalow nearby.  I cut across the sprawling lawns and slowly eased myself through the barbed wire fence at the other end.  After I had safely passed through without hurting myself, I straightened up, with a sigh of relief, only to find myself standing face-to-face with that ferocious looking, sleepy-eyed policeman from the municipal garden! Obviously, he had been following me on suspicion and now he appeared very much pleased with himself for having caught a burglar in the act of fleeing away from the scene of his crime, which in this case happened to be the Commissionersaab's abode!  What more could a poor police constable ever ask for!   He gave me a thorough look-over, from top to bottom, fixing his gaze finally on my Bermuda shorts.  I gave him a rather nervous smile and tried to explain that I was out only for an innocent, jogging exercise.  But, somehow, the policeman didn't seem to believe me.
" Aarre! Jogging at two-thirty in the middle of the night?  Go, tell it to some Lalloo", he said. I knew then that my alarm clock had let me down again!  The inspector at the police station wouldn't believe me, either.  I was detained for the rest of the night and released only at seven next morning, after getting a clearance from the police commissioner who, fortuitously, happened to be known to my brother-in-law!  On my way back home, I met several people from the office rushing towards the railway station to catch their train.  Some stared at me looking askance with raised eyebrows while some young lasses giggled at my unusual costume. I have never felt so embarrassed in my life.
At the entrance to our colony, Dr. Gulvady, who was just returning from his morning 'constitutional', joined me; his walk was so brisk that, to keep in step, I had to almost jog once again!  As I thus hurried home with the doctor in tow, a colleague, Mr. Somnathan passed by on his two-wheeler, waiving at us with a queer, perplexed look on his face. When I reached the office that morning, I had a call from Mr. Somnathan and several others, all making discrete inquiries about the health of my ailing father !
I kept up my jogging for several years. Now, at the age of seventy, I do some rudimentary exercises every morning, so far as my arthritis permits. For the rest of the day, however, I practice my most favorite posture in Yoga, called the Shavasana!  
______________________________________________


published Kanara Saraswat, LXXXIV,No.8,(Aug 2003),p29